Awnings & Canopies – it’s worth thinking quality, last summer was typical – we sought out the shade one minute, sheltered from rain the next. Awnings and canopies are becoming more popular each year because they offer a neat solution to this problem. Awnings and canopies can help you avoid sunburn and soggy barbecues of course, but they also shield indoors from the glare of the sun. This can keep the temperature down in south-facing rooms and stop the sun bleaching your furnishing and commercial clients can protect their customers from the sun and the rain in outdoor seating areas.
The general rule of thumb with awnings and canopies for your home or business is that you get what you pay for, good quality awnings and canopies can cost a little more then cheaper ones but will last a lot longer and look fantastic for years to come. Remember that awnings and canopies are not static items, you will want to open and close them regularly and paying a little more typically means you’ll get a stronger and smoother operation with your awning or canopy.
1. What will it look like when not in use? Remember that awnings and canopies can be large even when retracted.
2. Think about lighting. Eating outside after dark is becoming a more regular option in the UK, thanks to awnings, lighting and heaters. Some awnings and canopies come with lights and heaters fitted others have them as optional extras.
3. Does the awning or canopy have to be attached to the building? Free standing awnings and canopies give flexibility, but they can though be more visually intrusive when not in use.
4. Will you opt for a manual / electric awning or canopy operation? If you are considering a larger awning, think about going motorised, although this option is available for all our awnings and canopies .
5. Where will the (inevitable) rain go? Awnings and canopies are just as useful in the rain as they are in the sun, but consider where the rain will drain to. Some awnings and canopies are designed to ensure that rainwater flows to the sides. Shaped canopies can cost more but are worth looking at.
At the most basic level you can operate your awning or canopy is with a pull cord or winding handle, but for a little more money there is a motorised option with push button wall switch or remote control, at the other end of the range you can have a climate-controlled awning or canopy with sun and wind sensor. Once programmed you need do nothing the sensor reacts automatically to the changing weather, opening and closing accordingly, not only are you protected from bright sunlight and UV rays but your awning or canopy is protected from being damaged by strong and gusty winds.
A quality awning or canopy may not cost as much as you expect, and yet will provide a satisfying return in outdoor comfort and enjoyment. It’s a good investment too – it’s a bit like an extra room onto your property for a fraction of the cost. If you are considering an awning or canopy, contact our expert awning and canopy team who will endeavour to make it possible. Our experts can help you decide on the right type of shading solution for you! and with one of the biggest range of awnings and canopies, colours and fabrics on the south coast, we’re sure we have the right outdoor shading solution for your home or business.
Your message was successfully sent. We will be in touch shortly.